Mis-sold Or Mis-led? Know Your Consumer Rights

When it comes to being mis-sold car finance, or being mis-led on a car finance agreement, it is important to know what exactly your rights are when the time comes to raise the matter in the form of a complaint or indeed any further action. Today, we are spotlighting this subject with the help of the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

The FOS note that customers are protected by The Consumer Rights Act 2015. This covers the likes of faulty goods, poor service and problems with contracts. Now, when it comes to the mis-selling and/or mis-leading of car finance agreements, this could sit under the label of poor service, but it could also be deemed a problem with a contract, since it means that you have been influenced to enter an agreement for which the exact terms were not clarified to a sufficient standard. Either way, you would be able to forge ahead with trying to resolve the situation – but what else would you need to know?

You will need to be aware that the dealer should be credible enough for you to have recognised that offering car finance has always been a key service for them. In other words, if your friend down the road or a work colleague who knows a thing about two about car finance has been the one offering such a deal, despite them having no qualifications to do so, then this cannot be challenged; you cannot prevent them or anyone else doing the same in future, even if you have been wronged on this occasion. In addition, if your situation is in the middle of going to court, then you have to let the legal process handle things, and to not try and cause confusion or change by suddenly raising the matter again in a separate complaint.

Assuming that these are not a problem, though, then it is advised to file an initial complaint directly to the dealer in writing. It goes without saying that it should be worded in such a manner that you are acting professionally and cordially at all times; lashing out, even in written form, won’t help. Assuming that their response is not suitable, or indeed if they choose not to respond at all, that is when you can bring it up with the FOS. It is crucial to at least try to use their suggested complaint procedure before taking things any further; for all you know, they might instantly apologise and work to resolve things amicably. Only if they fail to do so, after you have directly contacted them via the methods suggested by them, should you and could you then speak to the FOS about moving things forward to find a resolution.

You can find out more about this, and also about what role we can have in helping you to recognise your rights and the appropriate steps to take. Contact us for more information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *